Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Irritating 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think according to Madame Royale she knelt to Louis XVII, but maybe it was after she cried her eyes out....

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:07 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Do you think she kneeled down before her son, her new king ? I have always thought this was a royalist legend. I rather imagine she fell on her bed and cried her eyes out.

It's exactly as for the anecdote with Mozart in Schönbrunn when she would have helped him to be raised and that he would have promised to her the marriage... We don't know...
I'm also mitigated on this scene where Marie-Antoinette kneels in front of Louis XVII, but I think that she could have done it (she was really due to these fundamental monarchical principles... )

As you said perhaps she fell in tear after the execution from her husband, but after who knows...
The royalists have to exaggerate by saying that she had immediately knelt after the death of Louis XVI, I think that she could do it a little afterwards. :D

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

For her it important for her little son to know that he was the king. She was very traditional about things like that....

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Following her gard in the temple, it is certain that she gave him "le pas", meaning that she served him his meals. She was questioned about that, and said that she did so for he was but a little boy.

I agree with you both... she could have done so... kneeling before her new king, it was running in her veins. However, Chou, as you said about Mozart, or even about this "is this a revolt ?", "no, Sire, it is a revolution"... it all sound too beautiful to be true... So, in the absence of any evidence, I keep wondering...

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:15 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I await the formal evidence. But it leaves a part of dream and imagination, which is also very pleasant isn't it? :wink:

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It s all the same with her last scene. Some think that she walked on the executioneer's foot and said sorry (Je vous demande excuses, Monsieur, je ne l'ai point fait exprès - Would you please excuse me, Sir, I did not do so on purpose), other that she said "good bye, my children, I'm going to your father!".

Then, there are others (and I do) who believe that she just dropped her bonnet by shaking her head, proudly, holding control of the situation, after all, glanced for a while at the mob (even if myopic, but the hope of a last minute rescue was still so great !), and let it be !

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah indeed for this scene also we cannot know...
Once again all is possible... I imagine well Marie-Antoinette to excuse herself after having gone on the foot of the executioneer , it's her style :D ... but nothing is sure...

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Precisely, Chou-Charles ! Each possibility illustrates an aspect of her psychology...

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:34 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

i am curious about if she kneeled down to Louis XVII! I am going to check Madame Royale's memoirs tonight to see if she says.

I always imagined that she did excuse herself to the executioner. Such interesting last words.

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:02 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Coppolas film was not that great, her clothes were wrong, idea about 18 cent. and where is the end???????????????? her last 4 years

Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 pm
Profile YIM
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re:
Monsieur Royale wrote:
The first time I ever learned about her in school. I was in the 6th grade and my teacher told the "Let Them Eat Cake" story and called her a dumb blonde.

Its true though...it seems like more people are learning more about Historical figure cause when I was a senior in High school my European History teacher was asked about Marie Antoinette and she described her as quite pretty. And then mentioned that the revolutionarys did everything they could to humiliate and make life hard for that poor woman.

i was in that sitaution in high school. my teacher was going on about that story and she called her an dumb blonde. i told her that Marie-Antoinette was young, not stupid. i fell asleep for the rest of that class....but thats not the point. lmao. :D :oops:

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:38 am
Royalty
Royalty

Post Re: Irritating
Yay verily Madamemoiselle Sara! She was young. She wasn't experienced nor was she really well educated enough to be a good ruler. That wasn't her fault because the King was supposed to have dominance and rule the country alone. Louis XVI was not quite the dominate type, that certainly didn't help by any stretch of the imagination. Although the word choice may sound mean, it isn't. She, like all young people was ignorant, inexperienced, when she was Dauphine she had to do what it took to have the King's favor either wise she would have been sent to Vienna. Not to mention, she was bewildered by the fact that certain women could only hold certain garments, a prime example of this rigid ettiqiute yet a king could have a "street friend" also known as a prostitute as his mistress who not to mention was vulgar in Marie Antoinette's mind.

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:47 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Myth that Marie Antoinette was selfish, stupid and perverse woman was necessary to justify the French revolution and hate towards the royal family. Still people see the French revolution as a victory of human rights without seeing the other inhuman side of it. :evil:

Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:20 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I must confess I'm very proud, because I have a friend who teaches at high school, and when it came to the French Revolution she asked me if I could tell her something more than what is usually found on textbooks...She used my suggestions and she said that afterwards some of her students went to a bookshop to buy a biography of MA...they were really interested in her!

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:11 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Bravo! :)

Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next