Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Carrolly Erickson's: "Hidden Diary" 

What did you think of it?
One of Marie Antoinette's best books! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Good 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Not bad... 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
I really don't like the book! 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13

Carrolly Erickson's: "Hidden Diary" 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Carrolly Erickson's: "Hidden Diary"
What do you think of it? It was one of the books that make me interested in Marie Antoinette's life...It's not 100% real (like her romance with the austrian boy.....), but it gives us a prespective of the Queen's life...

So my review is...the seconde option? I know that it's not very accurate, but it show us her world, her suffering into the Revolution...Carrolly show us the climate of Versailles in 1789 and 1790...But, by the other hand, she doesn't speak about the affair of the neckalce!!

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A romance with an Austrian boy ? Aber es ist schrecklich ! Don't you think pamphleteers imagined lovers enough and proposed names enough ? Why did this author have to invent one more guy ?

Should we really discuss about such a book ?

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:44 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Okk..maybe you're rigth Pimprenelle! I've remembered that in the book Marie Antoinette losses her virginity in Vienne, with 14 years orld :P The book have some ridiculous things

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Quote:
Okk..maybe you're rigth Pimprenelle! I've remembered that in the book Marie Antoinette losses her virginity in Vienne, with 14 years orld

Hein????

Is it true???

:lol: I've never red that!!! It's ridiculous as you said :lol: I would know where the author takes that :lol:

Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

But I've liked the very short description that is made of Gabrielle de Polignac...She is her true friend...

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:02 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is incredible, after all ! All those people who have fantasies about Marie-Antoinette having sex ! Messadié and his awful "rose écrasée", Poivre d'Arvors and his stupid "j'ai aimé une reine". When will they stop those Z series books ?

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:14 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So sorry, but Erickson's book is truly awful. It has Antoinette having a sex romp in Sweden with Axel. (I did not know it had her losing her virginity with the Austrian stable boy. Ridiculous.) It has a few facts about Antoinette but mostly it is sex book using her name. I would NEVER trust anything that Carolly Erickson writes, never. The problem is that she wrote some popular bios of queens, including Marie-Antoinette, so it seems to give her credence. Many people believe what she writes!!!! When I read some of the rave reviews for that book on Amazon.com, it makes my hair stand on end!!!!

Sorry, Jules dear. You need to read "Trianon" now, for a different approach.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:56 pm
Noble
Noble

i didn't think it was a 'sex' book and she doesn't lose her virginity to Eric,the boy from Austria. they are just in puppy love.

i enjoyed the book because it was my first taste of Marie Antoinette,i thought it portrayed her in a good light.

after hearing what everyone else thought of the book,i decided to read more accurate writings.

at the very least,it got me interested in her life.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:48 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

A puppy love ? Sounds terrible ?! I'm affraid it is a inaccuracy on the historical and on the psychological account. The next pompomgirl could have a puppy love with any boy in a stable. Not Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna von Habsburg Lothringen ! Not the daughter of Maria Theresia Imperator, the descendant of the Caesars ! Not this archduchess raised to become queen... queen of France !

These kinds of stories are terrible, just as Coppola's movie is. They pretend that Marie Antoinette was just like us, while she wasn't on any account ! She was an Austrian archduchess, she became a French dauphine, and a queen of France. It was still the Austrian archduchess and the queen of France who climbed the scaffold. Not a girl like you and me.

It is important for us to realize that, otherwise, we would never understand Marie Antoinette... and we would go on believing that, yes, she could bow with submission on the balcony, and, yes, that she could have puppy love in a stable ! Why not in Varennes with Mr Sauce ! :lol:

Last edited by Pimprenelle on Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Pimprenelle, I wish Erickson and Coppola would have focused on someone like Catherine the Great rather than trashing the life of Marie-Antoinette. Erickson does have her travelling to Sweden with Axel. Why didn't she write a fantasy about Catherine the Great if she wanted sex in the snow? It would have been closer to the truth.

I am delighted, however, that people are interested in seeking the real story about her and are so open to the facts even after reading Erickson!

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:08 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Haha, and what if those people would have created a film about Catherine the Great together in the snow with her cousin Gustav III ! Oh boy what scenes..seriously I am so disappointed that still after more than 200 years, some people find Marie Antoinette interesting only because they think that she really was involved with orgies and this must be the truth behind the scenes.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I forgot that Catherine was Gustav's cousin, on her mother's side. Very interesting!

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:35 pm
Noble
Noble

i knew that when i read it,i didn't know how much was real or not.

so i found out.

geez.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:43 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Personally I am not interested in fiction books if their characters are people who really have existed. I admit that we never can know every little detail but it is not an excuse to exploit the real people who cannot defend themselves anymore from rubbish.
One must be very careful and do lots of background research wanting to write about the real people.
If a book pretends not be anything but fictional then it is okay, like Gulliver's adventures, they can be fine. But if the reader gets confused and believe that certain things as facts and then disappoints, I think that is wrong.

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next