Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wedding dress 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, you' rigth. I'm going to ask there and then I will give you the answer :wink:

Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:28 pm
Post Re: Wedding dress
Kind of an old thread, but I happen to know the answer to this.

Irina didn't wear Marie Antoinette's wedding dress, her dress was in fact quite modern, done in the current style of 1914 when she was wed. This was unusual as Russian nobility usually wore gowns that strictly adhered to tradition. The veil however, did belong to Marie Antoinette. Zenia Youssopoff, Irina's mother, was known for being a collector of Marie Antoinette's belongings. Her collection supposedly included furniture from Marie Antoinette's bedroom and the famed diamond earrings now in the Smithsonian, the veil was probably another item in her collection.

There is a photo of Irina in her wedding dress here, along with what I assume is the veil held on by a magnificent Cartier tiara.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/jussupov/irina-romanov-wedding-tiara.htm

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:07 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: Wedding dress
GrafZeppelin wrote:
Kind of an old thread, but I happen to know the answer to this.

Irina didn't wear Marie Antoinette's wedding dress, her dress was in fact quite modern, done in the current style of 1914 when she was wed. This was unusual as Russian nobility usually wore gowns that strictly adhered to tradition. The veil however, did belong to Marie Antoinette. Zenia Youssopoff, Irina's mother, was known for being a collector of Marie Antoinette's belongings. Her collection supposedly included furniture from Marie Antoinette's bedroom and the famed diamond earrings now in the Smithsonian, the veil was probably another item in her collection.

There is a photo of Irina in her wedding dress here, along with what I assume is the veil held on by a magnificent Cartier tiara.
http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/jussupov/irina-romanov-wedding-tiara.htm

thank you for that. I had wondered if it were true about the viel. Felix Yusupov said in his book that Irinia had worn Marie-Antoinette's viel, I was wondering if it were true or if her viel was made from material that once belonged to Marie-Antoinette.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2