Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Book Club for May 

Which book will our club focus on for the month of May?
Poll ended at Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:30 am
Marie Antoinette: The Journey by Antonia Fraser 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Marie Antoinette: The Portrait of an Average Woman by Stefan Zweig 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Marie Antoinette: The Last Queen of France by Evelyne Lever 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Trianon: A Novel of Royal France by Elena Maria Vidal 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Farewell, My Queen: A Novel by Chantal Thomas 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4

Book Club for May 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Can`t wait to get reading and discussing. :D

Thanks Adrienne.

Vivienne.

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:29 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

So do I!!!! And I am very glad you are with us, dear Vivienne!

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

You're right, dear Therese, we have to agree to desagree ! Maybe the word I used was too strong, "she lied"... I must do what I can with my vocabulary in English ! :wink:

Hastier points out that Campan exagerates her importance at the end of the story, for instance, she said she was with the royals at the Feuillants, while a police reports shows she was elsewhere...

This, to me, causes suspicion... and I must admit I don't like the way she portrayes Marie-Antoinette, or, at least, not all the times. :roll:

Hi, Vivienne ! I'm also very exited about all these reading chats ! That will be wonderful !

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:13 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dear Pimprenelle, your English is magnificent, much better than that of most Americans! :wink: (Forgive me, fellow citizens!)

I have no doubt that Campan exaggerated or forgot things, a lonely old woman running a finishing school for parvenues, with the glittering and tragic past filling her mind. One must read everything with care!

Yes, we will have fun, as always!

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:46 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Are you sure Elena Maria Vidal's "Trianon" is that good?

I have not read it, but I'm not sure, the author seems a Christian fanatic writing "Christian minded" fiction such as "Trianon" and its sequel "Madame Royale"...

Check her site: http://www.emvidal.com/

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

By the way, York, this "76 jours de Marie-Antoinette à la conciergerie" has many catholic concerns too. For instance, it's very important for the author that Marie-Antoinette has received confession and last sacraments. It's a little bit amazing, when you are used to writers as Castelot, for example ! :wink:

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:40 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Thank you for welcoming me to the book club Therese and Pimprenelle.

You are so right Therese ....... Pimprenelle your command of English is superb.

Vivienne.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Hi, York!! Vidal's books about the French royal family merely bring out the spiritual side of their struggles, showing how their faith supported them as they faced tragedy, humiliation and death. The Catholic (Christian) aspects are placed in the context of the court scandals, parties, balls, political intriques, romances, assassinations, and everything else that was going on at the time.

Many authors are not comfortable with spirituality in regards to Marie-Antoinette so they leave religion out completely. In "Trianon" and "Madame Royale" matters of faith are woven into the story as a means of making it a more authentic representation of the era. Most historians seem to agree that Louis XVI and his queen were practicing Catholics. If they had been Hindus, I have no doubt the author would have portrayed them as such.

Anyone who is repulsed by any discussion at all of the part that Catholicism historically played in the lives of those who adhered to that belief system, even as an academic exercise, then, yes, you would probably hate "Trianon" and "Madame Royale."

Having visited Vidal's website, yes, the author apppears to be Catholic and is certainly not making any secret of it. I don't know that that should be held against her, but if it is, it probably won't be for the first time. :wink:

Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:52 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks for these so sweet compliments ! You're both so so nice ! I'm blushing.......... :oops:

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

"Sweets to the sweet" as Shakespeare said! Blush away! :P

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:30 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Excellent points Therese ... and york that is precisely why we might want to read and discuss a book. Part of the book club is to cast a critical eye over what we read, investigate the point of view, prejudices and preferences of the authors and comment on the impact if any these have on their writing :)

Last edited by Adrienne on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, Adrienne. Sounds good to me. Perhaps it is like looking at various portraits of the same person by different artists, a gallery in letters, so to speak.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:35 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh yes, I share this point of view. No one on earth will ever capture Marie-Antoinette's real essence. We all have a single peculiar aspect of her personality. So, I think it's important to exchange with others in order to enlarge our points of view. As you said, dear Therese, we don't have to agree on every subject ! I'm ready to receive other's opinions as gifts... for internet is a wonderful shortcut to knowledge !

Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:01 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

"A gallery in letters" that is such a good way of describing the book club.I am hoping it turns out to be just that.

I am reading a book at the moment by an author who loves the palaces of Europe and his account of Marie Antoinette`s life - for it is a biography -goes into great detail about the "bricks and mortar" in which she lived her life.
No surprise about that - as all his other books are about buildings !!

I am looking forward to learning more about MA`s life in every way. Especially her spirituality and faith - which I feel was very important to her - but doesn`t fit with her "popular" image.

Vivienne

Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:11 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, Pimprenelle, we do learn from each other, and I certainly learn a lot on this discussion board.

Yes, Vivienne, I agree. The book you are reading sounds very interesting!!

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next