Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Writing desk at Waddesdon Manor 
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Writing desk at Waddesdon Manor
I have just seen a very interesting little item here on the BBC.

They are showing a very festive programme about Waddesdon Manor a country house built by a member of the Rothchild family.

One of the collection`s treasures is an exquisite writing desk which was owned and used by MA. It is absolutely beautiful. Apparently the workmanship just cannot be reproduced by craftsman of today.

It was shown and explained in great detail by an antiques expert - who nevertheless still infered that Marie Antoinette was somehow responsible for the revolution - as she had such an extravagent lifestyle.

Saying - "seeing this wonderful desk you can see why there was a revolution" ......... hmmm .......

Still getting a chance to see the desk was great ...

Vivienne

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Really? I don't know this desk...But it must be splendid I imagine! :D

But I don't agree with the antiques expert ...Marie-Antoinette did not have luxurious tastes at this point, and it is not the principal cause of the revolution... :?

Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, especially when one sees some of the very ornate furniture that belonged to the various revolutionaries, including Bonaparte.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:32 pm
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

It makes me so upset when people try to justify the revolution and what happened to Marie by saying things like "oh, well she had a nice desk, what do you expect?" What kind of logic is that? :(

Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:18 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

It just shows that although this gentleman had (as far as I could tell ) an extensive knowledge of fine furniture, he was misinformed about the true facts of MA`s life. That however didn`t stop him from repeating the usual propaganda ........

He was able to talk about, and touch and display the workings of the desk for several minutes and that was so interesting. It is really beautiful. I plan to go and see it for myself sometime this year.

Viv

Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Good for you Viv, hope you enjoy Waddesdon Manor! :D

This example about the desk is just so funny, though. After all, M.A. was not the only one who comminsioned objects d'art or who spent the most. The royal aunts were even more extravagent in their living, as was Madame DuBarry, Marquis de Pompador, Louix XV, Comtes Provence and Artois etc. Our poor Queen is always taking the blame for the whole Revolution just because she liked beautiful things! Maybe I'll write an impassioned letter to that furniture curator...lol :lol:

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette just was at the bad place at the bad time.
She was not much more extravagant than other queens. It is true that she liked the diamands being young, but after 1785 she did not use them much more and bought some even less.
She was always attentive with cleanliness, but the corresponding expenditure was never consequent. :wink:

Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:24 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

I think he may have been being sarcastic.

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Writing desk at Waddesdon Manor
Even so, he should've just kept that comment to himself because there are folks out there who don't know her like we do, and it could mislead them about who she really is. Oh, if I was only there, I'd put him in his place.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:16 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

True she had an very plush live style but she was royalty and every royal and aristocrat lived like that so you can not blame her for living the life style that she was raised to live.

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 pm
Yes as per your sayings it is a master piece and a unique work of the ancient time that cant be repeated by any of the modern times. It is a class work.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]