Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 MA hairstyles 
Post 18th century bouffants and coiffs
I have been searching the internet high and low for information on how to recreate the flamboyant hairstyles of Marie Antoinette and her friends, but the only information I have found is in German!

Does anyone know where I might be able to find this information? If it isn't on the internet, I am willing to buy a book if it's out there :D

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:54 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Where is your German information from Rose? I have some German language skills and I'm sure there are others here too who may be able to help you translate the information that you already have.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:02 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Post Re: 18th century bouffants and coiffs
Rose Bertin wrote:
I have been searching the internet high and low for information on how to recreate the flamboyant hairstyles of Marie Antoinette and her friends, but the only information I have found is in German!

Does anyone know where I might be able to find this information? If it isn't on the internet, I am willing to buy a book if it's out there :D

You should post the German Internet address.

There are some interviews with Kristen Dunst where she talks about the hair for the movie, it took hours and to make and how tired she was. She said they used tons and tons of hair spray and powder. I am sure they used hair pieces and wigs in the movie also.

Sorry I am not much help.

I would love to know, is this something you are doing to your own hair?

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I suggest you visit the nearest college library or the public library for books on costume and fashion.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:18 pm
Post Hairstyle instructions in Germans.
Here's the link for the German hair styles.

http://www.marquise.de/de/1700/howto/fr ... ur18.shtml

just click on the hair style you want to see. I am, of course, most interested in the giant La Belle Poule

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:47 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I try to translate "La belle poule" from German into English... :wink: That's the first part (Sorry if you find mistakes in the English translation but I have to translate into italian before doing the English version) :lol: :lol:

Abbildung 1. Bevor man mit der Herstellung dieser Frisur beginnt, wird alles Haar vollständig durchgekreppt und alsdann mit Haarpuder grundiert. Hierauf teilt man das ganze Haar rings um den Kopf ab, wie uns dies obige Abbildung zeigt, und flechtet von der mittleren Partie ein oder auch zwei feste Zöpfchen, welche, zu einem Knoten gelegt, als Stützpunkt (Fundament) für die ganze Frisur dienen.

Picture n.1 Before beginning with the creation of this hairdo, you have to backcomb hair and coat them with powder. After that you have to divide hair on the head like in the picture and plait them starting from the middle part, or make two fixed plaits and tie them in a knot: in this way you will have a basis for the hairdo

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Abbildung 2. Jetzt befestigt man auf dem Kopf das in Abbildung 6 veranschaulichte und mit Haarkrepp oder Wolle bezogene Drahtgestell, gegen welches oben eine Krepprolle gegengesteckt wird, um die in Abbildung 3 ersichtliche Form zu erreichen. Das Gestell bedingt die ganze Gestalt der Frisur und gibt ihr den erforderlichen Halt. Sodann teill man die vordere Mittelpartie in eine obere und eine untere Hälfte und toupiert jede derselben von oben, rollt dann die Faden zu einer loser Puffe nach vorn und befestigt sie fest.

Picture n. 2 Now you have to fix oh the head the structure shown in Picutre n. 6. After that you have to spread the backcombed hair on the structure, in order to obtain the shape shown in picture n. 3. The structure determines the shape and the height of your hairdo. Then you have to divide the front middle part into an upper and a lower part and backcomb them. Finally roll them up to obtain a loose puff and fix.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Abbildung 3. Nun teilt man zu beiden Seiten je drei kleinere Partien von hinten nach vorn ab, toupiert und rollt diese in derselben Weise wie die in Abb. 2 beschriebene Mittelpartie und reiht die so entstandenen Puffen geschmackvoll gegeneinander. Darauf folgen zwei größere Puffen. Gegen die unteren beiden steckt man kleine Kämme, damit ersteren einen besseren Halt haben. An der Seite im Nacken teilt man hierauf eine Partie Haar ab, papillotiert dasselbe, um es dann nach dem Erkalten in eine große Locke zu frisieren.

Picture n. 3. Now divide the hair on both sides and obtain three smaller parts, backcomb and roll them up as described in picture n. 2. After that arrange the puffs by following your taste. Now you have to create two bigger puffs. Insert little combs against them for having an higher hairdo. take a lock from the nape, and warm it: after cooling you will have a big curl.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Post Thanks so much!
Vitoria, you have no idea how helpful you have been. I have been trying to figue this out for months now! Thanks again. I will be sure to post a picture of the finished product=)

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:34 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Abbildung 4. Man frisiert die beiden Seitenpartien ziemlich egal. Es wirkt allerdings wohl besser, wenn die Seitenpuffen zu Gesicht etwas von einander abweichen. Von dem mittleren Nackenhaar frisiert man den Beutel, die sogenannte Catogan- oder Antoinette Schleife. Von den verbleibenden Enden des mittleren Nackenhaares wird eine Puffe gerollt. An den Seiten frisiert man je eine Locke, während die mittlere Bahn für die Drapierung frei bleibt.

Picture 4. Arrange both sides in tha same way. It is besser to create puffs that are slightly different. The hair on the nape are arranged into the socalled Catogan's or Antoinette's bow. Roll a puff starting from the remaining locks on the middle part of the nape. On both side you have to arrange a bow, while the middle part forms the draping

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Re: Thanks so much!
Rose Bertin wrote:
Vitoria, you have no idea how helpful you have been. I have been trying to figue this out for months now! Thanks again. I will be sure to post a picture of the finished product=)

Sorry fr my English, I think it's a terrible translation :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Picture 5: Here there is the description of the hairdo's decoration. You have to powder hair again and then put on decorations (such as pearls, little vessels etc).

:wink: :wink: :wink:

I hope to see very soon the final result 8) :D

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Royalty
Royalty

Vittoria I had just started a translation myself and I couldn't have done any better! Thank you!

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:00 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post help
Does anyone know what was used for powder in the 18th century? Also a modern substitute? And what was the name of the hairstyle with the ship on top?

Thank you very much.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

what was the name of the hairstyle with the ship on top?

I believe it was called "Pouf". The woman had big hairstyle with different things (ship, feathers, birds...).
The "Poufs" allowed her to affirm their personality :wink:

Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next