Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Madame Du Barry's Apology 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Madame Du Barry's Apology
:) If I may say, I think it was wonderful how Du Barry felt sorry for Marie eventually after what happened on New Years 1770. I think it was wonderful how she shared her heartfelt devotion, her affection towards Marie eventually. I don't think though, it was wise to gain her friendship through the necklace but I think Marie and her were very brave. I think though, it is very ironic they met a few years later and she mourned for the death of her and Louis XVI! :D

I wonder though, if the Queen ever kept in touch with the mistress. I heard from a book of a biography of Du Barry that they had a meal together eventually and that Lamballe felt uncomfortable, is this true? :D

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

This I had never heard of, dear... I have read in Combesco's novel (Les diamants de la guillotine) that Mme du Barry helped the royals to buy Saint Cloud. In this view, she would have met Marie Antoinette in her lodge at the opera, scretely. Then, they met again when the royal family were imprisoned in the Tuileries, and Mme du Barry tried to help them. She was a convinced royalist.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:42 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Did Du Barry by any chance ever visit the prison where the royal family was and discussed some issues with Marie?

Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:24 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't think...the poor Madame Du Barry was hated by all people (she has been the mistress of a King...)....nobody would have accepted that she sees the royal family... :?

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Did anyone read her memoirs? She mention the fact that Gabrielle de Polignac had a house in the Rue de Bourbon...Do you know where it was?

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:30 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:54 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Du Barry wrote her memories? I did nit know....but they are not available so! :D

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2563

:wink:

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh wow that must be a fascinating read, I'll go and look. I know very little of the relationship between du Barry and Antionette other than that it was a rocky one at the beginning .. I had not known there was any sort of reconcilliation. She was eventually guillotined, wasn't she?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Okay as suggested by a mod I am taking this as being a more general Du Barry thread :). She seems, by all accounts, to have been a genuinely likeable person who did not hold rancour when, goodness knows, she certainly might have had cause to do so. She was a prostitute - essentially - but I think from what I have read that she genuinely did love Louis XV and tended to him in his last illness - at great risk to herself, presumably. I was sad to see that she met her death on the scaffold and sadder too that she broke down and begged and pleaded for her life on her way there and on the scaffold itself. I guess that she was not of the nobility, who were generally taught not to show emotion and hence went to their deaths impassively.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:25 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Du Barry was, contrary to what Coppola thinks, an intelligent woman, a woman with taste, a delicate and very beautiful woman.
She was not noble, this is why her entry in Versailles was criticized so much by the aunts of Louis XVI….
She loved really Louis XV with whom she remained until the end, and she was always faithful to monarchy. :D

Here her portrait by Vigée-Lebrun in 1781 :

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Nice picture - she is a good deal prettier than she was on the first and only other portrait that I have seen of her .. I dunno who painted that but she did not look at all attractive on it and I did wonder what the King had seen in her ... or why she was described as so beautiful. But I can see why from that picture.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes all people said that she was pretty....here another portrait, but I don't remember the artist.... :oops:

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

She looks different on that one - her hair looks rather grey! But then Antoinette's does too on some of her portraits.

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:03 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Ah! I found the artist of the last portrait of Dy Barry that I showed: it is by Drouais. I do not have the date, but it seems that she was younger on this portrait than on that of Vigée-Lebrun… it can explains the differences :D

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next