Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Frankenstein 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Frankenstein
An interesting tidbit people might be interested in...

Mary Shelley alluded to the fact that Frankenstein was partly inspired by the French Revolution, which she described as having been "deformed and blood-stained" by the Jacobins. What I've noticed is that Jean-Paul Marat in particular has many similarities to both Frankenstein and his monster:
    -The yellow eyes and the skin condition (both traits of the Monster).
    - Marat was a scientist and a physician (a quack, actually) with an interest in Alchemy. It was Frankenstein's combination of Alchemy with modern science that allowed for the creation of the Monster.
    - Marat's time spent in the catacombs beneath Paris amongst all the bones (recently relocated from a nearby cemetary) and the fresh bodies (dumped there after a riot).
    - The Monster's desire to have a wife created for him. Marat's wife had been essentially manufactured for him by the Revolution. Until then, he'd had no romantic relationships (probably due to his poor hygiene and abrasive manner).
    - Marat's essay on the "Soul of Man," which viewed humans as mechanical, hydraulic contraptions. (The Soul is located in the pineal gland, apparently.)
    - When Marat was embalmed (in the same position in which David's painting depicts him), something had gone very wrong with his arm, so an arm from a different corpse was substituted. While the body was on display, the arm slowly began moving -- falling off, to be more accurate. It detached from the shoulder and dropped to the floor in front of the mourners -- pen still in hand.
There's an interesting Marat tidbit which many people don't know of: he was employed by Artois for nearly ten years, first as a physician in his stables, then later as the physician to his bodyguards. In this capacity, it's quite likely that he would have been in close proximity to Marie Antoinette and her inner circle on many occasions. (Imagine what they would've thought of him!) Later, we find that Marat was very likely one of the prime instigators behind the September Massacres, during which Lamballe's severed head was waved on a pike in front of Antoinette's cell in the Temple.

Incidentally, Marat wasn't the only soon-to-be serial killer lurking in the background during Antoinette's better days. Hebert was a failed playwright, employed as a ticket-taker at one of the theaters in Paris. He too would have likely encountered Antoinette and her entourage face-to-face on more than one occasion. After Antoinette was guillotined, his response, printed on the front page of the Pere Duchesne (the propagandistic journal he published): "[It was] the greatest of all the joys of the Pere Duchesne, having with his own eyes seen the head of the female veto separated from her f---king tart's neck." (Yes, that word existed back then.)

Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:50 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

That is very interesting. Dr E.Michael Jones has done a great deal of research on that very subject - the connection between the Revolutionaries and the Illuminati with the cult of violence and perversion that manifested itself during the Revolution. The University of Ingoldstadt mentioned in Shelley's novel was where Adam Weishaupt the founder of the Illuminati movement was a professor. Frankenstein is a very revealing novel about historical and cultural events and there is much information imparted beneath the veil of fiction. Thanks, lord byron, for mentioning this work that is deeply connected to the French revolution.

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:54 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you, Therese, I'll have to investigate that. All I know about the Illuminati's connection to the Revolution is that at one point there were plans to have them guillotined, but Robespierre intervened on their behalf. He viewed them as a harmless group of lunatics (or so he said).

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Interesting that Robespierre said that....

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:10 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

AM I the only who cant stand reading how Hebert talked about killing the queen? He couldn't even face his death with the compsure that she did

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:23 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

And yet hebert was honored that louis XVI had once patted his dog....very bizarre.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:31 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It seems like a lot of killers target people they use to like. They were either obsessed with them or they represent a cause that may have betrayed them.
Take rocker wannabe Charles Manson he had Actress Sharon Tate Murdered. A Succesful actress she represented everything He wasn't. The Entertainment Industry had rejected him and he was bitter towards it and everyone who had found success in it

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:28 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I've never heard about the dog-patting incident, it's wonderful.

The Charles Manson/Celebrity analogy is perfect. I think the Jacobins had the same mentality as these people who stalk celebrities. Basically, it's rage directed at a society they feel won't admit them; deep down, they want to be admitted. With serial killers, it's the same thing, but (usually) directed at women -- the society that won't admit them (so to speak!) It's so interesting to think about. Maybe the root of it is the Rock Star fantasy (no shortage of women for those guys); this belief that you can somehow achieve a transcendant state by joining a certain high-status group. For most people it's just a day-dream, but for a certain personality type, after the dream dies a blind rage sets in -- a compulsion to destroy the society that won't admit them. Maybe it's a sort of ecological niche that certain people occupy. If you have low status in the group, your options are a) live with it, b) increase your status by your actions, c) leave the group, d) destroy the group. Come to think of it, Manson's stated aim was to bring about a race war. To accomplish (d) you need allies -- Manson thought black people would take care of it for him. Tremendous food for thought, thanks for that.

A typical Jacobin

Last edited by Byron on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:44 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Two noted Jacobins, shown before and after rage-onset.

Before:

After:

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:22 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Who are those people, Byron ? Your point is becoming quite strange, now, isn't ? I don't get it. To me, the jacobins were people living during the French revolution.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:46 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

It's following in the vein of Monsieur Royale's Charles Manson analogy (see above). They're modern-day examples of the Jacobin mentality -- the urge to to destroy the society that refuses to admit them. The first is Manson, the other two are the perpetrators of the Columbine Massacre, a notorious high-school shooting incident. (Their names are well known in the US; I guess not elsewhere. But the pictures paint the story.)

Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I wonder how far you can compare those isolate indivuals to the jacobin club. Wouldn't it be a generalisation ? I would be more careful...

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:29 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Frankenstein is one of my favorite books.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

If you read the posts above you'll see the context, Pimprenelle. Not sure why it's a touchy point.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I dunno the Columbine Killers, they had personal vendetta's with the people they went to school with. Manson never suffered at the hands of Sharon Tate. He was rudely sent away by one of her friends when he was caught wondering the property five months before the murders...but with her husband out of town and her being pregnut most friends would've been protective and re acted in such a way.
Sharon Tate never doing any harm to Manson was murdered for what she represented. Much like Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette (I don't think I've ever read an account of them being rude to the likes to Robespierre, Marat, Hubert, Danton,etc)

Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next