Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 the french revolution 

How many of you think that the french revolution has been necessary for a changement of the society ( not only french) and for the introduction of the democracy?
Yes, it has been necessary and inevitable. 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
No, it hasn't been necessary. It could happened in different ways.. 73%  73%  [ 30 ]
I don't know sincererly! 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 41

the french revolution 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

byron that's amazing. i had no idea about the communistic elements of the revolution and the details on pirating is incredibly interesting! i'll be viewing pirates of the caribbean in a new light! :lol: :wink:

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:20 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Isn't it incredible? It was during that later Paris Commune that the Anarchists adopted the black flag -- presumably because the red flag was already taken. This is just speculation, but I think there's also a connection to the Green Party. I forget the precise details, but I remember an incident, I believe just after the storming of the Bastille, when someone asked "What should our colors be?" Someone (I don't remember who) replied by pulling a branch down from a tree. Later, it was pointed out that Artois' attendants wore green, so the idea fell by the wayside. Then, I think, the reactionaries adopted the color green. (This is from "Citizens," if I remember correctly. Speaking of which: The reason revolutionaries use the words "comrade", "brother", etc? A decree of the Commune required people to address one another as "citizen".) It makes sense if you look at the philosophy of the Green Party -- it seems to be an attempt to salvage the good and dump the rest.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:48 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

To the point about the Revolution being a product of the Enlightenment, in fact its guiding philosophy was that of Rousseau, who is often considered to be the father of Romanticism -- which was a reaction against the Enlightenment. The idea was that science and industry had had a corrupting influence, and that the social ideal was that of the "Noble Savage" living in a pre-industrial Golden Age. This was the source of the popular back-to-nature movement, as well as the widespread admiration for the Americans, who were idealized as... Noble Rustics, I suppose. The movement was as popular with Royalty as anyone else; hence Antoinette's Hameau, and the fad for a simpler style of dress, and perhaps even the King's decision to support the American revolutionaries. (The French admiration for the Americans became a bit perverted after their own revolution went so horribly wrong; they drew up plans to take over all of North America. Luckily they ran out of money, and ended up selling us the middle portion -- the Louisiana Purchase.)

Last edited by Byron on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The back-to-nature movement was indeed a fashion style after approximately 1780 : dresses imported of England (Robe en Gaulle), simple hairstyles, English natural gardens (and not French), and even interiors decorations : pieces of furniture, tapestries and other supplies. :D

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Well, I just discovered how to do images, so I'll probably be abusing the feature for a while. Here are a couple of examples of the simpler style of dress. The first is a Vigee Le Brun self-portrait (her and Marie Antoinette were the ones most responsible for spreading the style), and the second is a Vigee Le Brun portrait of Polignac.

If I remember correctly, the Polignac portrait raised eyebrows -- it showed her the way she actually looked! Scandalous!

Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

If I remember correctly, the Polignac portrait raised eyebrows -- it showed her the way she actually looked! Scandalous!

hi byron, i have to say i don't know terribly much about duchesse polignac and of course living in modern times, i find it hard to see why the picture's scandalous :lol: :wink: please enlighten me! :D

Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:53 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The "natural" look was considered scandalous. In the portrait, Gabrielle is not wearing much make-up, her hair is curling naturally, and she is not wearing corsets.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:04 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

E.M. Vidal used that portrait for her post on Gabrielle and the Polignac family in her Nov. blog.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Anyway, Gabrielle was always pure and natural... pleine de candeur...

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:36 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:02 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Portraits of royalty were supposed to look more like this:

Come to think of it, it might've been the portrait of Marie Antoinette that caused the scandal.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Not as much as the picture of the Queen in her simple white dress! Oh, I do love to see her in full regalia, though!

Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:29 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I do too, Therese ! I love in simple dresses, as I love en majesté ! She is a true goddess anyway...

In this story Byron told us about Raucourt, I adore this "fascinating smile that was so peculiar to her"...

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next