Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Beauty Standards 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Beauty Standards
It strikes me as strange that Louis XVI's brothers were thought to be better looking than he was. In my opinion he always won in that department compared to them. I find that alot of people agree with me but it would't have been the case some 300 years ago. It is the same thing with Marie- Antoinette, except back then she was seen as a beauty queen (LOL). I still think she's lovely but public opinion seems to find her plain. Doesnanyone have any thoughts on that , or any insight on how beauty standards have shifted from then until now ? Thanks 8)

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:38 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is a common opinion that Artois was considered a very handsome man. He had inherited his grand father's charm, and ladies just fell for him.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:42 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh i thought Louis was quite handsome to be honest..he might have been a little chubby but he was still a good looking man. This is just my oppinion

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

When he was young, Louis XVI was very well proportioned and rather tempting, but with time as he ate much he grew bigger a little and he was dandled, therefore he had his image of a not very gracious man. :?

Here Louis XVI young :

Here Louis XVI during the revolution :

Yes he changed :wink:

Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I thought he was pretty handsome too, I was rather confused having read that he was apparently homely and whatnot and seeing his portrait. He certainly didn't look all that bad to me! (I like your description of him Louis-Charles) :lol:

He did get rather large in his thirties but he still seems like a nice fellow.

Although was the Comte de Provence considered all that handsome? Wasn't he seriously overweight by the time he was in his teens? I heard he couldn't even get on a horse! But he was witty, so people enjoyed his company.

I do know that Marie Antoinette wrote to her mother a few years after her marriage that if she had a choice of the brothers, she would have picked Louis, which is rather nice to know. :)

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Many contemporaries described Louis XVI like that... His brother Provence was also rather bulky after his youth, but much of people liked his character.
Only Artois was always a fine young man, like Louis XV :D . Y

es when Marie-Antoinette was dauphine, she indeed said that she was glad to be married with Louis-Auguste, because he was very nice and calms. But she wanted to satisfy her mother perhaps :wink:

Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

but much of people liked his character

Enflure ? Who liked Enflure's character ? Who did ? :lol:

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:33 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Personally I do not appreciate him either you doubt it! :wink:
But Provence was appreciated by people who thought that Louis-Auguste was too timid and awkward to be a King.
Provence had a little more character than his brother...(mais un caractère pourri je suis d'accord...)

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sa marche sournoise, ou souterraine, je ne sais plus... dit Marie Antoinette. His temper perhaps sounds stronger than Louis' but just because he was an hypocrit. And those who appreciate him that much surely were people already intriguing for their places in the new reign to come ! :?

His poor wife did not appreciate him, anyway... After their first night, he said "I have been happy four times" (or maybe three ?). And Madame said that she did not notice it... :lol:

Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:46 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes I agree Pim...Provence (Provence...Povrence...pauvre France... :lol: je sais je délire!) was too hypocrit and he liked the intriges...
People who liked Provence were like him.
He absolutely wanted to be better than Louis-Auguste...peine perdue...

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Re: Beauty Standards
oceane wrote:
It strikes me as strange that Louis XVI's brothers were thought to be better looking than he was. In my opinion he always won in that department compared to them. I find that alot of people agree with me but it would't have been the case some 300 years ago. It is the same thing with Marie- Antoinette, except back then she was seen as a beauty queen (LOL). I still think she's lovely but public opinion seems to find her plain. Doesnanyone have any thoughts on that , or any insight on how beauty standards have shifted from then until now ? Thanks 8)

Vincent Cronin and Bernard Fay say that Louis was considered handsome as a young man, although Artois was by far the "beauty" of the family. Provence was handsome and had a quick mind but he was so overweight and not really very nice. Louis' kindness touched the hearts of many once they got to know him. Such honesty and simplicity was not always appreciated and often dismissed as imbecility. Louis, of course, was much more knowledgeable than either of his brothers, but he was humble.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:41 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thanks, chou. I meant to add that Marie-Antoinette was not considered a perfect beauty like Gabrielle de Polignac, even in her time. The queen's beauty, they say, was not so much in her facial features, although they were lovely, but in her translucent complexion, her graceful movements and charm of manner.

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

According to the testimony of Lebrun and Besenval, Marie-Antoinette was beautiful in her manner of appearing: she had more charm than she was really pretty.
All her splendour was noted in her style of moving, in her wearing of head, and her manner of looking around her.
And Lebrun said that Marie-Antoinette had splendid arms and hands, with a very pure skin! :D

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Ah Chou, here he goes again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next