Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Lamballe and Polignac 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

How many years older was Madame de Polignac than MA? What was Madame de Polignac's relations with Madame de Lamballe?

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:05 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_de_Polastron%2C_comtesse_de_Polignac Polignac was 6 years older than Marie Antoinette having been born in 1749.

Madame de Lamballe was also six years older than Marie Antoinette, I'm not sure how she and Polignac got on. Madame Lambelle was Antoinette's favourite friend first then Gabrielle was, before Madame Lambelle became the favourite again! But that is according to Wikipedia so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Gabrille was certainly stricken by Antoinette's death and died not long after the Queen was beheaded.

Madame Lambelle was of course killed by the revolutionaries in a horrifying manner.

I hope that helps! :)

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:17 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, merci! I am curious were these two friendships with M.A. politically driven at all.

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:03 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

In many readings, I am finding the opinions that Mme Polignac and M.A. were not so close friends near the time of the Revolution. That she went behind M.A. to speak of politics with Louis XVI, of which M.A. did not approve, and that Yolande was interested in the wealth and prestige that she could attain through her relationship with the Royal Family. This is a different picture of Polignac than I have read elsewhere. Any thoughts?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:06 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

She seemed like a fun person.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:49 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Post Reposts
If you missed E.M. Vidal's posts on Mme de Polignac and the Princesse de Lamballe the first time around, here they are again:

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... cs-of.html

http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... balle.html

Thu May 17, 2007 12:52 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Oh, yes, these posts are very interesting, seriously documented and erudite ! :D

Thu May 17, 2007 8:42 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I do like the fact that Marie Antoinette eventually became tired of Polignac, like many typical teenage girls do of their old friends. It shows how different and similar we are from those times.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Actually, Marie Antoinette never get tired of anybody. It is obvious from her correspondence. Even as a teenager gril, she was faithful to her friends.

Let's take Rose Bertin (the milliner), who served her till the temple or Leonard (the hairdresser) who came with her to live in the Tuileries, or her old music teacher Gluck, whom she would later protect as a dauphine and as a queen in France.

She was close friend with Madame de Lamballle, and then felt attracted to Madame de Polignac. But she never let Madame de Lamballe down, she went on seeing her and inviting her. When Madame de Polignac went in exile, Marie Antoinette went on writing to her the most she could, passing her messages through Madame de Fitz James and others.

Those Marie Antoinette loved remained faithful too. Madame de Lamballe was slaughtered by the Parisian mob because she came with the queen in the temple, and Madame de Polignac could not survive on Marie Antoinette's death. She died a few weeks after having heard of the queen's execution.

Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:07 am
Duc/Duchesse
Duc/Duchesse

Oh, how sad Pimprenelle. :cry: They were obviously true to the Queen to the very end, and it took both their lives.

By the way, how did Polignac and Lamballe get along? (I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere else on the forum...)

Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:45 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Actually, Marie Antoinette never get tired of anybody. It is obvious from her correspondence. Even as a teenager gril, she was faithful to her friends.

Well, that's damn confusing. Some sources say that once the Queen became dedicated to motherhood, she didn't care much for Polignac.
I hate that about the sources I read sometimes - they contradict one another.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:02 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Books are but interpretations. Get back to real sources. And these are letters. Marie Antoinette cares for Louise de Lamballe even after she met Gabrielle de Polignac.

This letter for instance is dated June 28th, 1785. It is adressed to Madame de Lage de Volude, Madame de Lamballe's friend, and it clearly shows how Marie Antoinette cares for Louise de Lamballe, whose brother was dying.

Marie Antoinette kept writing to her dear Polignac the longer she could. This letter is dated August 23th, 1790.

"Only death could make me stop loving you", the queen says to her dear heart.

Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:50 am
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Lamballe and Polignac
Here are artist and historian George Stuart's take on the ladies - (takes a little time to load)

http://www.galleryhistoricalfigures.com ... DeLamballe

http://www.galleryhistoricalfigures.com ... chPolignac

Enjoy!

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:06 am
Profile WWW
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I wonder how polignac and lamballe got along, too! It seems like they were so different.

Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:11 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I'm a bit confused...what was Mme de Polignac's first name, Gabrielle or Yolande?

Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next