Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 1938 with Norma Shearer 
Royalty
Royalty

Post 1938 with Norma Shearer
I finally saw this movie when it came out on DVD, and I was absolutely amazed at how marvelous Norma Shearer was! I feel at the beggining she was not great but near the end she was really emotional and wonderful. And the costumes! They were not very accurate, but oh, were they beautiful! In my opinion, one of the best Marie Antoinette movies!

Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:57 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Have you seen "l'Autrichienne", by Granier Deferre, with Ute Lemper ? This is about Marie Antoinette.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:49 am
Royalty
Royalty

No I haven't because isn't it only in French. I don't speak French. Plus, I don't think you can buy it in the U.S.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I think you could buy it online. It is in French, indeed, but all the dialogues are historically accurate, so that you could find them translated in English in books.

I found Van Dyke's movie terrible. I even hesitate... Which one is the more awful ? This one, or Sofia Coppola's ? :roll:

Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:51 pm
Royalty
Royalty

They both have their good and bad points but I'd say the 1938 version is better. Why do you dislike it?

Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Because it is full of historical inaccuracies, that it shows the king and queen relationships in a too freudian way (following Zweig once again !) and that it gives a totally wrong view on Marie Antoinette and Fersen friendship.

Furthermore, the whole thing makes me think of a musical comedy without the choirs or of an Holiday on Ice big show.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:33 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I haven't seen the 1938 film, but the mention of Mr Zweig's book and of the typical hollywoodian cliches are enough to make me look away.
All 1930's hollywood "historical" films I've seen were disatrous: the "private lives of Elizabeth and Essex" (the example that springs to my mind) bears absolutely no resemblance to the actual facts and personalities. Even the sets and costumes are totally inacurate...I expect no better from the Norma Shearer movie. It has to be said that very few film/tv dramas portray history acurately.

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The whole Van Dyke's movie is based around the most important thing in Marie Antoinette's life... which is ?

... which is ?

Fersen ! Everybody knows it ! :lol:

It takes so much room that there is practically nothing about the revolution ! Even at the end, Fersen comes back ! While he actually was with his mistress El, he is portrayed in the movie coming to the conciergerie and visiting Marie Antoinette in her cell !

... as if her cell was another "salon où l'on cause" ! :lol:

Then, the hero comes back later for crying over the roofs of Paris after the queen's death.

...oooowwwwooooohhhhh... my dogs does so very well too...

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Perhaps a model for le fantôm de l'opéra (la scène dernière)?
But wasn't you Pimprenelle dear also une reincarnation d'un carlin très special?
:wink: :lol:
Seriously animal do have a soul. i love them.

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:00 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

My queen, stay with me... sorrow keeps my mouth silent...

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:25 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

J'adore les pékinois! Mes chiens préférés! :o

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The Norma Shearer film is wrong in so many ways and Succeeds in under dramatizing her life....but Norma's performance is nothing short of amazing. She did her research on MArie Antoinette...understood who she was and nailed the role.

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:18 am
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Norma Shearer as Marie Antoinette
You are correct, Monsieur-Royale! :) She was 38 years old when she played the role of Marie Antoinette. Norma Shearer was known to be a "lady" in Hollywood. Her grace and charm and her unique beauty captured the essence of Marie Antoinette's true elegance and regal bearing something which no other actress has captured in portraying the role. Grace, charm, elegance and bearing can not be "faked". Unless the actress possess these qualities in real life they can try to portray it in a film of Marie Antoinette's life but the lack of these qualities manifests itself in many movies made on this subject.

Also, I do not know if any one else knows this movie fact but when they were producing the 1938 film, Marie Antoinette, they purchased all they could find of the authentic antiques, furnishings, carpets, and objects from Versailles to use in the making of the movie. So pretty much all the furnishing, and objects used in the movie were really from Versailles! When I first learned this a number of years ago I viewed the film with a renewed interest and have always wondered, "WHY", they have not colorized that movie. It was meant for color and just to see all those priceless authentic objects in color within the period reenactment even in spite of the mediocre script would be worth the viewing.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:39 am
Profile YIM
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, I do not know why they did not add color. They colored Gone With The Wind and The wizard of Oz.

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:11 pm
Royalty
Royalty

They didn't film it in color because the film was so over budget already that if they had done it in color it would have bankrupted the studio.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next