Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dogs 
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Dogs
Does anyone know anything about any of Marie Antoinette's dogs? Anything - what they were called, when she had them, how many at one time, what breed they were, what happened to them etc. Did she have dogs in the Temple or Conciergerie?

Thnaks

Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:27 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie-Antoinette always loved the dogs! She had dogs when she was Archiduchesse, Dauphine and Queen.
In the Tuileries and in the Temple also she had a dog in her room. But in the Conciergerie I do not believe… It is her son Louis-Charles and then after her Marie-Thérèse daughter who kept this dog. :D

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Marie Antoinette always had dogs, that's true. She had little spaniels and carlins.

épagneul nain papillon

carlin

She also had a leonberg that Fersen bought for her, and that she called after Fersen's own dog "Odin".

leonberg

When she came back to the Tuileries, Mme de Lamballe offered her a little dog, "Thysbée", that Marie Antoinette called "Mignon".

She would have another dog, a "Fidelta".

The dauphin also had a dog, "Coco", that was buried somewhere in Paris, and it is still possible to see its grave.

I don't think either that Marie Antoinette could take her dog to the conciergerie. However, Zweig and Belaiche-Daninos say so.

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:51 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I did not remember the dog's name except "Coco" which stayed under her bed during the night in the Temple I believe (It was Coco isn't it?) :D
I love the carlin! :lol:

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I just love carlins too ! They are tttttoooo cute ! I don't know which dog slept under her bed in the temple. Was it Coco ?

Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:58 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It is true that it is a detail, but all interests me… :lol:

I believe that it was coco, but I'm not sure...

Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Thank you both. I also find these small details fascinating. I read somewhere (probably Lenotre, Last Days - I'll hunt for it if you like) something about Marie Antoinette's mattress and her inconsolable dog in the Conciergerie. Actually, I will try to find that reference again as I realise now I have forgotten most of it!!!
:?
I found it difficult to believe at the time. They took so much away from her I cannot believe they'd let her keep a dog. Suspect that whoever wrote it may have allowed a little 19th Century Romanticism and wishful thinking colour his memories.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Great dog pictures :D those carlins are cute and the great leonberg is a dog fit for a Queen.
Unfortunately, I don't think that any dog followed their mistress to the conciergerie.
I find it hard to believe that Marie Antoinette would have been allowed any form of consolation by the revolutionaries. When she arrived at her last prison, everything Antoinette had could fit in a cardboard box: I don't think such a prisoner was allowed a pet. Sad :cry:

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Apparently she had a dog called mops and a dog called thisbe.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:15 am
Noble
Noble

I have a handsome papillon myself, and I always think of the French court when I look at him!

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:50 pm
are carlins and pugs the same? because my pug looks exactly like that picture with "carlin" posted underneath.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:42 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Awwww..they are so adorable! Thanks for the pictures.... :D

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:24 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I am finally getting a English Springer Spaniel in Feb. and have decided I want to name is Thisbe after Antoinette's spaniel, but I want to know does anyone know of any other of her dogs names apart from Mops, Coco, Thisbe and Odin?

And also, does anyone know if Antoinette's spaniel or if she had a spaniel that was a Springer because I remember seeing a painting somewhere of a spaniel that looked very much like a liver/white coloured springer with her in either the tuileries or the conciergerie..?

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I don't know if anybody has read the book 'Dog and Man- A Story of a Friendship' by Alfred.P Sloan but it has a very touching story about Antoinette's spaniel Thisbé and what happened to it after the Queen was sent to the Conciergerie.

Here is the link so you can read the passage yourselves,

http://books.google.com/books?id=7_-N18 ... S_i4PJ1RR0

I don't know how accurate it is but I thought it was very sweet and touching.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you so much, Jasmine ! These stories are of high interest ! Thisbée and Mignon are names you also find in Lady Fraser's bio. Antonia Fraser reports that Madame de Lamballe offered a little spaniel dog called Thisbée to Marie Antoinette when she came back to the Tuileries. The queen called it "Mignon".

Wih regards to this dog that followed the queen to the conciergerie, it appears in many books too (such as Zweig's or Belaiche-Daninos') and must be a carlin (mops). It wen on scratching all over her mistress' bed after her death. I however always wondered... Would the cruel revolutionaries allow a dog into the prison ?

About Madame Royale, she never mentioned a dog she would have in the temple tower. However, she was given her broher's dog, Coco, that finally would be buried by Madame de Tourzel.

But all these stories are full of mistakes, confusion and imaginary addition... :?

Here you'll find some more pictures :
http://maria-antonia.justgoo.com/rumeur ... e-t133.htm

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next