Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Reviews of the movie Marie Antoinette 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The problem is that I was hugely dissapointed by this movie. I love Marie Antoinette for years and years on the one hand. On the other hand, I found "Virgins Suicide" so fascinating that, when I heard Sofia Coppola was about to make a movie about my dear queen, I was really excited ! Could not wait to see it...

Well... the trailer immediately calmed me down...

That's why I hate this movie so much, I must admit. Because I really had huge expectation. A talentuous and original director for portraying Marie Antoinette... this could only be fascinating.

See how I feel, now ? :cry:

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:24 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Dear Mike D., don't be put off by us here. I know of many people like yourself who enjoyed the film and felt inspired to learn more about the queen. But for those of us who, mostly, are amateur scholars, we have read enough about the real MA to be disturbed by the inaccuracies of the film. It upsets us to see the queen rolling in the grass with Fersen when in reality she was faithful to her husband (there is no proof that she was otherwise), to see her getting drunk when in reality she abstained from wine. Yes, she was a practicing Catholic, but not a saint, not until she became a martyr, anyway, which to me makes her more inspiring. She was SO human yet attained through her sufferings great heights of courage, virtue, and spirituality that many nuns could never reach.

I think that Coppola could have shown her fun side without degrading her.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:50 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

To study a real historic person like MA is meaning that you put your own ego and prejudices aside in the front of the real facts you discover.

Don't you think, Mike, that many of us would love to see Marie Antoinette just as we would like to dream, having the same ideals, goals, looking, hobbies, relationships and values that we have? And it is hard sometimes to discover something that disappoints? But I can't understand why couldn't everyone still have a right to search MA? Is it limited only those teaching "officially", and where, academic level or colleges,universities, big countries, metropolis only...what about work shops, unemployed degree teachers, researchers, those having done their major in a different subject and history as a second..where do you think is the line?

By the way I started with MA, when I was 7 years old, and didn't know about my future career. And I have satisfied my ego-needs elsewhere.
:roll:

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:30 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Well, I don't know, dear Aurora. To me, defending the historical truths about Marie-Antoinette has not boosted my ego because of all the attacks that I have had to face as a consequence. If anything, I hope I have grown wiser and humbler in learning about and discussing the queen. I hope.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Should I have written "you put your ego and prejudices away" to be more understood and clear? :shock: :oops:
I meant: to put oneself's ego off and facing the truth only.
It was an answer to new member Mike D.s statement that we want to show our super egos here, we poor amateur scholars with over-intellectual speaks. :?

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:45 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:48 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

The inaccuracies bothered me, as well. Having read on Marie-Antoinette and the French Revolution for only around 3 weeks now, then seeing this movie, I was left with the thought, who researched and planned for this movie?? Another innacuracy that irked me was that the people of France (in the movie) were not shown as welcoming of M.A. when she arrived in Paris and Versailles, which is so false!! I would have liked to at least see included in the movie the welcome in Strasbourg, the flight to Varennes, the first official visit to Paris, more of the contributing factors to the Revolution, etc. Also, I read somewhere that when M.A. first met Louis XV upon arrival at Compiegne, that she fell to her knees in front of him, is this true? This image gave me such a feeling for her youth and innocence at the time, true or not! The movie showed NONE of the dignity of Marie-Antoinette, or her courage IMHO!! Instead, they portrayed her as 'defiant adolescent'! For shame!! Ok, I did enjoy the scenes of M.A. with Marie Therese Charlotte in the gardens and farms of Trianon. Somehow, they managed to portray that M.A. made strides to parent her children in a holistic, hands-on manner, different from the norm of Royal parenting.

On a side note, as I watched this movie at home, we were in the middle of a blizzard that brought us 3 feet of snow!! Whoa!

Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:16 pm
Noble
Noble

Thank you all for your welcomed comments. Once again I meant no disrespect to any of you and I am thrilled to be among you all. None of my friends would ever want to discuss Marie Antoinette. This site is a joy for me. I am sure I will learn a lot from it.

I wanted to ask you all if you know of any auctions that have taken place of MA's personal belongings? Anything of her's that has been sold to private collectors? I could never afford anything like that of course, but am facinated with the idea of owning something of hers, or anything from the French Revolution era.

thanks

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:00 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

We are thrilled to have you here, Mike D. and none of us mind a spirited discussion. That is why we are here.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:21 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Mike D.,here is a site where one can find some interesting things.

http://www.thedessertcourse.com/marieantoinette.htm

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:47 pm
Noble
Noble

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:13 pm
Noble
Noble

i rather enjoyed the film (which i just saw for the first time a couple of days ago) but only for the costuming and sets. it was filmed beautifully and the costumes were gorgeous, but the inaccuracies threw me. quite dissapointing when the content of the film isn't a grand as the packaging!

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:32 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I HATED THAT MOVIE That was not Antoine. The movie Pictured Antoine as the Prostitute Queen You would think the movie was made by a revolutionary!

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:36 am
I know this subject has been long dead and you probably all long to forget about the movie, but I still wanted to ask you a few questions.

I am a history student currently working on a paper in which I have to judge the historical accuracy of the movie Marie Antoinette by Coppola. Ofcourse I know it isn't accurate, I actually started with reading the biography of Antonia Fraser and watched the movie afterwards, I could however use some elaboration on a few points you've made:

- The costumes: the site dedicated to the movie says the costumes are only designed ith the period in mind, but with a modern twist. I've read on IMDB that the colour pink as it is used in the movie was never used at that time, can anybody confirm that?
- The music: Is the music that sounds like it is older classical music, music that is accurate for the period, or are those songs also flawed?
- Do you all feel the movie gives a more friendly view of MA than the 'average' person has about her? Because it was so stricking to me that she keeps stating Fraser's book as her main source, but the movie to me seems more to emphasize the 'evil' spending woman, who only cared for her own pleasure, while the book tries to emphasize that she wasn't like that and that it was all a matter of circumstance and thus Coppola has that goal in mind (she tells us, showing us the misunderstood woman), but doesn't achieve it, in fact, only shows us the more negative side. What do you think?

Then I have to look at the Antonia Fraser book, I have read the book and review after review after review, and every single one says that it is a well researched book. Do any of you feel she did miss certain points, however? Or do you all agree that this is thé book to start of? with, that gives a new sight of MA that is the most historically accurate?

I know this all sounds like I am a lazy history student asking for advise to earn some points, but it isn't meant in that way. I have actually spend a lot of time on this subject, but there are certain things I have not yet found out enough about to my satisfaction and having found this site yesterday, reading so many strong opinions on the subject of the movie, I thought I would ask if anyone could give me some pointers.

Oh, and I think the person who said that the movie can make you interested in her person is party right. I decided on this subject before having seen the movie, but got to that decision because I knew there was a movie about her (the subject had to be analysing a historical movie and searching for it's sources). At the same time, if I had seen the movie, before having to decide I would have either never chosen this subject (I am currently trying to push away the day that I have to rewatch the movie to analyse it further), or I would have been so frustrated with the lack of historical accuracy that I would have wanted to write on this subject even more.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:59 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I know this subject has been long dead and you probably all long to forget about the movie, but I still wanted to ask you a few questions.

I am a history student currently working on a paper in which I have to judge the historical accuracy of the movie Marie Antoinette by Coppola. Ofcourse I know it isn't accurate, I actually started with reading the biography of Antonia Fraser and watched the movie afterwards, I could however use some elaboration on a few points you've made:

- The costumes: the site dedicated to the movie says the costumes are only designed ith the period in mind, but with a modern twist. I've read on IMDB that the colour pink as it is used in the movie was never used at that time, can anybody confirm that?
- The music: Is the music that sounds like it is older classical music, music that is accurate for the period, or are those songs also flawed?
- Do you all feel the movie gives a more friendly view of MA than the 'average' person has about her? Because it was so stricking to me that she keeps stating Fraser's book as her main source, but the movie to me seems more to emphasize the 'evil' spending woman, who only cared for her own pleasure, while the book tries to emphasize that she wasn't like that and that it was all a matter of circumstance and thus Coppola has that goal in mind (she tells us, showing us the misunderstood woman), but doesn't achieve it, in fact, only shows us the more negative side. What do you think?

Then I have to look at the Antonia Fraser book, I have read the book and review after review after review, and every single one says that it is a well researched book. Do any of you feel she did miss certain points, however? Or do you all agree that this is thé book to start of? with, that gives a new sight of MA that is the most historically accurate?

I know this all sounds like I am a lazy history student asking for advise to earn some points, but it isn't meant in that way. I have actually spend a lot of time on this subject, but there are certain things I have not yet found out enough about to my satisfaction and having found this site yesterday, reading so many strong opinions on the subject of the movie, I thought I would ask if anyone could give me some pointers.

Oh, and I think the person who said that the movie can make you interested in her person is party right. I decided on this subject before having seen the movie, but got to that decision because I knew there was a movie about her (the subject had to be analysing a historical movie and searching for it's sources). At the same time, if I had seen the movie, before having to decide I would have either never chosen this subject (I am currently trying to push away the day that I have to rewatch the movie to analyse it further), or I would have been so frustrated with the lack of historical accuracy that I would have wanted to write on this subject even more.

The costumes were not accurate. The panniers on the gowns were much wider. That hot pink was never worn.

Fraser's bio is good but not one of the best. For one thing, she insists on the Fersen affair without giving any evidence. She does , however, emphasize the queen's extensive charities, which were hardly shown in the film.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next