Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Ilness 
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

Post Ilness
According to Fraser, Marie Antoinette was seriously ill during her last years of life. According to all symptoms she probably had a cancer of uterus. And it seems that she wouldn't live long. Well, events connected with revolution and prison probably strained her problem with health.
Do you know more about her problems with health ?

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:26 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed Marie-Antoinette had very important haemorrhages after 1792… cancer of the uterus is a possibility, but we are not certain… It can also be a disordered state of her "règles" (I don't know the word in english sorry.... :oops: Pim? Therese? help :lol: ) …
But her detention conditions in the Conciergerie, and tires did not arrange anything it is sure :?

Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:13 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

I think it's probable that M.A. had a fibroid ("Fibrome" in French).

Women with fibroids develop anaemia, which M.A seems to have suffered from: she's described as being pale and weak.

Cancer of the uterus is another possibility. However, it would have ultimately led to extreme pain which would probably have been recorded (compare with Eva Peron, who died of uterine cancer. She is recorded to have suffered pain and faints).

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Periods exact! :wink:

Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:45 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Thank you, dear Marquise ! I also doubt she had a cancer, for, with such hemorages, wouldn't it be in a terminal phase ? Causing, as you said, intolerable pains ?

No eye witness for these terrible pains Marie Antoinette would suffer from. Not even Rosalie, who simply said "she lost all her blood".

Well... Marie Antoinette always had abundant periods...

Furthermore, the queen was so strong and firm during her trial, and this last morning. Her letter is so clear and sensible. I agree she was a very courageous person... but these also indicate to me that she, eventually, might not be that ill, after all...

Thanks you for explanation about fibroids, Marquise. It makes all clearer to me ! Another explanation I also read is that Marie Antoinette could have a too soon menopausis.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I have also wondered if she had fibroids. I don't know if she had cancer or not but she may have had some kind of gynecological problem for some years. I think that she was not well in prison (she dropped all that weight after Louis was murdered) and it was sheer will power and the grace of God that got her through her trial. It may, as Pim says, just have been a heavy period, but there are indications that she may have had some health problems. But we do not know for sure.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:55 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It might have so many causes, you know... hemorages can be a symptom of many gynaecological problems... to begin with a simple monthly cycle disorder. Which could be caused by all those stresses and pains Marie Antoinette had gone through.

I my opinion, Marie Antoinette fell into a terrible depression after the king's death. I guess she almost died. Mme Royale said that, in the temple, she and her aunt cleaned the room up and did everything, for the queen could no longer do anything.

Cancers often raise after a shock. But other diseases and problems too. Let's add to this that Marie Antoinette always had a gynaecological weakness.

Anyway, the more I read about Antoinette, the more I am tempted to think that she was not that ill at the end. Some witnes even reported that she looked for a while at the mob while standing on the scaffold. As if she was searching... This man had the feeling that the queen, till the very last minute, was waiting for a rescue.

That's how I see her ! Strong and determined... and unable to completely loose hope and this tiny flame burning inside of her heart.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:22 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, it could have been so many things. I think that at the end, she did not give up because she was determined to do ANYTHING in order to be reunited with her children. She was not thinking of herself but of her dear little boy whom she wanted to rescue. She wanted to live for her children. For a mother, when a child is hurt or in danger, to be consumed with trying to save that child is the most natural thing in the world.

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 pm
Noble
Noble

Post Re: Ilness
Hello!

I have read that the famous drawing by David of Antoinette with a frown on the cart on the way to the guillotine was not a frown at all; that she in fact suffered a stroke in prison. This resulted in the down turn of her mouth.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Thank you!
Jacqueline

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:23 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Never heard about this, dear... :shock: The only story I know is by Laffont d'Ausonne who says that Marie Antoinette had a stroke (apoplexia) on her way to the guillotine, and that she was dead before her execution.

It is a single story versus a larger amount of contracting testimonies, that describe Marie Antoinette getting out of the cart, up the stairs...

Her last days in the conciergerie are also quite documented. We have Rosalie Lamorliere's memories, for instance. Marie Antoinette met several people before leaving the prison and no one reports that she once had a stroke or something.

In my opinion, this sketch by David is a last caricature showing the Austrian woman arrogant till the very end.

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:00 am
Royalty
Royalty

I agree, Pim, not to mention that I don't think David was anything of a royalist!

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:10 am
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I don't find her look arrogant Pim, I find her miserable, absent.

Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:51 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Indeed... It is a matter of personal interpretation, dear baron, then... Anyway, David did not draw this sketch out of love. :evil: This awful man most of all was an expert in being a turncoat !

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:57 pm
Noble
Noble

Yes! Which is precisely why it bothers me that the "frown" is there, I hate that he tried to make the Queen look such a way!

-Jacqueline

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next