Marie Antoinette Online
  • FORUM
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Marie-Thérèse de Savoie Artois 
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Let us say that Louis XVIII was a clever and, ultimately, a successful politician. He had few, if any, principles and was willing to make compromises as long as he could be king. It was not for nothing that he was called a "crowned Jacobin" and "King Voltaire."

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:39 pm
Post Comtesse d' Artois
I have heard it said that the two sisters were very close. Victor Amadeus wanted the Dauphin for one of his daughters and was annoyed when he had to "settle" for the younger sons.

Apparently, Marie Josephe did have one miscarriage. Provence had the same "problem" that Louis Auguste did and had the same surgery that Louis did to attempt copulation. But he was so busy scheming against his older brother and spreading malicious rumours about Antoinette's alleged infidelities that he had no more time to focus on procreating children with his wife. Marie Josephe shared his hatred of Louis and Antoinette. Artois' devotion to Antoinette and his neglect of her younger sister added fuel to the fire that burned in Josephe's mind and heart. When Artois finally abandoned poor Therese for the sister of Antoinette's lady in waiting and close friend, Josephe suspected that Antoinette had encouraged the affair and put Artois up to it. At this point of time, she completely turned against Antoinette.

I doubt that poor, sad Therese hated Antoinette. She was completely dominated by Josephe and resented her husband's infidelities, but she had too good natured and too submissive to take it out on her SIL.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:06 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Actually, there is no evidence that Louis-Auguste had the phimosis or the surgery. Such a defect was never mentioned in any of his medical examinations and there is no evidence that he actually had the surgery since according to his diary he went hunting everyday during the period he was alleged to have had the surgery, which would have been impossible. Both Simone de Bertiere and Vincent Cronin discuss this in depth.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:45 am
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

According to several historians Louis XVI suffered only from a great timidity, and a no profit-sharing for the love. And it's the same thing for Marie-Antoinette!

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Yes, and that sort of thing happened with other arranged marriages, it is just that Louis and Antoinette have received so much scrutiny.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:36 pm
Comte/Comtesse
Comte/Comtesse

I jus wanted to add a little contribution to this post, as I have found in a booklet showing images of the young members of Savoy family a portrait of the future Countess of Artois. This portrait is displayed in the hunting palace of Stupinigi near Turin and was painted by G. Duprà. I think that Marie-Thérése was 5 or 6 years old when this portrait was painted.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

I've read that the comte d'Artois foght a duel with the Prince de Condé because something that happened between Artois and Bathilde d'Orléans, Condé's wife...

Why did they foght? Who won the duel, and why didn't Louis XVI forbade that?

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:18 pm
Royalty
Royalty

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 pm
Prince/Princesse
Prince/Princesse

It's so strange to see little children of 5 and 6 years old with clothes of "grown people".. :lol:

Thank you for the portait Vittoria Francesca Savoia :D

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:00 pm
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re:
Victoire-Adélaïde wrote:
the scandalmongers said that she had a hairy chest...

Thank you so much for this post, Victoire-Adélaïde! I can't begin to tell you how it made me laugh--such a pleasure! :lol:

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 am
Marquis/Marquise
Marquis/Marquise

Post Re: Marie-Thérèse de Savoie Artois
Hi, all! Would anyone happen to know how long in advance of his marriage did the Comte d'Artois know of his engagement to Marie-Thérèse? Had the marriage been planned for years, or was it just a matter of a few months or weeks before the ceremony that he found out?

Thanks!

Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4